Usually, we talk about making sure local businesses can be found by address, but not all local business owners want their addresses to be found online.
If you work in a specific service area with no storefront, you probably don’t want Google to display your home address to the world. Read on or watch the video to learn how to hide your home address and select your desired service area in Google My Business.
This includes hiding your home address (if you have no storefront) and adding your accurate service area. However, if you’re managing your business's listings and place pages on your own, you can follow these steps to hide your address on Google My Business.
Here’s the step-by-step breakdown of how to hide your address in Google My Business.
1. Log in to your Google account associated with your listing.
2. Click on your "info" tab.
3. Find the address section. Click the pencil to edit the address.
4. Find the section that reads: “Clear address” and click it to clear out any information.
5. Click "Apply".
6. Navigate to your service area section and click on the pencil.
7. If information isn’t already there, you can choose to the add zip codes or cities for the different areas you service.
8. Click "Apply" to save your changes.
That’s it! Now your home address is hidden, but local consumers should still be able to find you in searches if you set the correct service area.
What Will Change Once You Hide Your Address On Google My Business?
Like we mentioned before, now that your address is hidden, people won't be able to see it, but as long as you're working on your local search marketing, they'll still be able to find your business in relevant local searches.
It's possible that you'll need to re-verify your listing after taking these steps, according to this Google help document about hiding your business address on Google, so be aware of that.
Optimizing your Google My Business listing is just one small step toward a better local search marketing strategy.
Here are a few more articles that will help you build a better online presence: