Understanding how the local search results work and showing up above the competition can be extremely frustrating.
In this video, our Senior Digital Marketing Strategist, Zac Herr, will guide you through the three main sections of a Google search result, highlighting the value that each section has for your business and showing you the importance of optimizing your online presence for search.
Watch the video or read the transcript below to learn more.
Video Transcript: Anatomy of a Google Search Result
Hi, my name is Zac Herr and I’m a Senior Digital Marketing Strategist here at RevLocal, and today I’m going to give you a breakdown of a Google search result.
When someone does a Google search for your type of business, there are three main sections they’ll see on the first page. Let’s break those down and discuss the importance of each one:
First, at the very top of the page you’ll see the paid advertisements. These are the spots that you’ll have to pay for to make sure that you’re the very first thing seen on the page.
And then, at the bottom of the page you’ll see the organic search results. These are websites that contain content related to your search but are not necessarily location specific.
And finally, we have the local search section, also called the Map and Pushpin Section. This is where you’ll see local businesses. These results are based on a variety of factors, including the location of a searcher and the business’s star-rating.
Depending on your business goals, there are many reasons why each section may be valuable to you. However, local search is the best way to get your business in front of a consumer when they’re ready to make a purchase decision. And, if your online presence is optimized, it makes it that much easier for a consumer to interact with your business.
So, how do you optimize your online presence?
Well, some of the most important factors that help increase your presence in local search are great reviews, consistent business information and a locally-optimized website. The reason this is so important is that research shows 80 percent of searches done on Google are now locally focused. You need to make sure your business doesn’t miss out on those opportunities.
That was a quick breakdown of a Google search result. Be sure to check out our blog for more helpful tips on how to grow your online presence.
To summarize what we've learned about breaking down local search results:
1. Paid advertising can help your business be found at the top of a Google search result page
2. Organic search results contain content related to your business, but they're not always location specific
3. Local search results are based on location and business star-rating, and they are the best way to reach customers making a purchase
4. The best ways to optimize your online presence is through solid reviews, keeping your business information consistent and having a locally-optimized website
5. Eighty-percent of all searches on Google are now locally focused
For more information on local search marketing, check out these resources:
- How Are Customers Searching for Your Business?
- What Is Local Search Marketing?
- Why Does Local Search Marketing Take so Long?