With more than 2.5 billion Android-powered phones being used in the world, the Google Assistant is becoming extremely beneficial for both mobile phone users and small businesses.
How does it affect my small business, you ask?
Let’s talk about some of the latest improvements.
What Is Google Assistant?
Before we get started, I want to explain what Google Assistant is. To sum it up, the Google Assistant is a form of artificial intelligence (AI) that assists you with a variety of tasks on your Android phone or device by using your voice.
All you have to do is say “OK Google” or “Hey Google” to get started. With many mobile phones, you can also hold down the home button until the pop up appears.
Here are some of the tasks Google Assistant can help you with:
- Answering questions through a Google search
- Setting reminders or alarms
- Viewing the weather
- Receiving news updates
Not only are they using Google Assistant for these tasks, but they’re searching for local businesses, too, which means it’s important that your business shows up in the search results!
Whether you’re on-the-go or making plans at home, Google Assistant is a hands-free way to find the answers you’re looking for.
If your business hasn’t already optimized its website for voice search, you’re missing out on more exposure as well as conversion opportunities!
Recent Updates With Google Assistant
Google is constantly optimizing to make their platforms, mobile phones and applications better than ever. So, what’s new with Google Assistant? Here’s what you should keep an eye out for:
- Testing ads in Assistant results. Similar to what appears in a search on your mobile phone or internet browser, Google is testing ads in their Google Assistant results. This allows businesses to pay to be in the top results of a search. As more and more people are using voice search, this can be extremely beneficial for small businesses, as this creates more exposure! Ads aren’t appearing in every Google Assistant search, but they are becoming more noticeable.
- Local search in messages. This is going to be a great update for small businesses! Google is adding suggestions to the messages portion on Android phones that are connected to movies, weather and restaurants. All of the content will be local information and will use “on-device AI.” Suggestions will appear and users will be able to tap to learn more.
- Expanding the Google Assistant. Google is making an effort to have the Google Assistant button in more mobile phones than ever before! This means that lower-end phones will now have access to Google Assistant, which means more opportunity for people to do voice searches. Although many of the lower-end phones are in India, Indonesia, Mexico and Brazil, this improvement on Google’s end will ultimately help future changes for all mobile phones and anywhere the Assistant is used!
Google Assistant is a helpful tool for Android users. Make sure to stay tuned for blog updates about Google Assistant as we learn more! Comment below with any questions you have.